My favorite paring with fruit for a complete morning snack. These little nuggets are great for lunch boxes and the that afternoon slump. I make a big batch (or two) at the beginning of the week and munch on them all week long.
- 2 cups of pitted Medjool dates. Or about 20 of them*
- 3 tablespoons nut butter. (We use almond but peanut works too!)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- In food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until mixture comes together. It will be very sticky so consider using some oil on your hands to make it a but easier to handle.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture in to round balls and place in dish or tray and refrigerate.
* You may need to soak dates in a bowl of warm water just for a few minutes to add some moisture back to them.
Store in air tight container in refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy as a "am I really hungry or just bored?" healthy alternative.
Play with the recipe a bit! You can add dried cranberries or a different combination of nuts. The possibilities are endless!