Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes
I was so skeptical of this recipe at first. I had made stuffed peppers before but stuffed tomatoes felt messy and I wasn't sure how they would taste. But I was pleasantly surprised! They are so tasty and not to complicated to make. You will need a blender or food processor but all the other need things are pretty standard.
- 6 Medium Tomatoes
- 2T Olive Oil
- 1 Medium yellow onion
- 1 cup of Quinoua
- 2 cups fresh Spinach
- 6 T pesto (Whole Foods sells a brand that is vegan)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 salt and pepper to taste
- 2 C fresh Basil
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Raw Cahews
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Quinoa according to package instructions. (Typically 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water.) Set aside.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water to bowl with cashews. Set aside.
- Cut off tops of tomatoes and hallow out.
- Add one T of oil to bottom of 9x13 and place tomatoes in pan
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Drain water from cashews and add cashews and all pesto sauce ingredients to food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- In large saute pan add diced yellow onion. Saute until translucent. Add cooked quinoa, spinach, pesto, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cook until spinach is wilted and everything is well combined.
- Mix pesto cream sauce into mixture
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until skin starts to blister.